[asterisk-users] Connecting Elite H323 gateways

Nacef LABIDI nacef.l at gmail.com
Fri May 2 08:45:20 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I am new to asterisk and I want to setup local anolog telephony for my
office. I found in the basement some old Elite H323 Gateways that were
purchased but never used. Each gateway has 8 FXS ports and an Ethernet port
so I was wondering that I could connect all my anolog phones to these
gateways and connect the gateways all together through asterisk.

I have configured the gateways successfully and done some experiments on
pasing local phones either on the same gateway or between different
gateways. Now I want to go beyond configuring these gateways to communicate
with asterisk to be able to call SIP IP Phones and also through the PSTN.

Can anyone enlight me about the priniples that would allow me to configure
that. I have installed AsteriskNow and correctly configured my SIP IP phones
and also some softphones and they all communicate very well. I havent seen
on the GUI how to configure a H323 extension although I saw there is a
h323.conf. I read about using a gatekeeper and saw the GnuGK website but I
have no global understanding of the subject.

If someone could explain me or provide me examples that would be great.

Thanks to all