[asterisk-users] Minimum upload speed for Asterisk?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri May 2 07:41:59 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:19:26 -0400, Frank Tarczynski wrote:
>
>  >I'm running an Asterisk box that's connected to the world via 5MB
>  >down/384kB up cable internet service.  I've noticed that the sound
>  >quality for both IAX and SIP calls sometimes starts to suffer.  IVR
>  >prompts and MOH frequently have slight pauses from the outside, but
>  >sound fine from inside calls.
>  >
>  >Is 384kB up too slow?
>
>  No. But what you can do will depend upon codec selection, QoS & traffic
>  shaping in your router.
>

>  >Is there any guidance for the minimum upload speed for an Asterisk box?
>
>  Rough guidance:
>
>  G.711 needs approx 80 kbps per call leg
>  G.729a needs approx 32 kbps per call leg
>
>  See www.voip-info.org and search for codecs.
>
>  Michael
>
>  --
>  Michael Graves
>  mgraves<at>mstvp.com
>  http://blog.mgraves.org
>  o713-861-4005
>  c713-201-1262
>  sip:mjgraves at pixelpower.onsip.com
>  skype mjgraves
>  54245 at fwd.pulver.com

Try the same calls with the other devices on your network turned off
or unplugged from the network.  All it takes is a semi large or even
small but bandwidth intensive file transfer (bit torrent or FTP for
example) to mangle your audio.

If the audio is fine after limiting to only VoIP traffic then you can
figure out the best way to prevent bandwidth hogging, whether it be to
throttle the offending application or make rules on your router.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro