[asterisk-users] Minimum upload speed for Asterisk?

Erik Anderson erikerik at gmail.com
Thu May 1 15:33:03 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Frank Tarczynski <ftarz at mindspring.com> wrote:

>  Is 384kB up too slow?

Probably not.

>  Is there any guidance for the minimum upload speed for an Asterisk box?

I'm guessing this is for just a few calls at a time, correct? I'd
guess that rather than these quality issues being caused by cramped
bandwidth, they're actually being caused by latency issues.  Have you
ever checked the latency of the connection between your asterisk
server and your SIP/IAX endpoint? If it's really high (say 300ms+) or
if the latency is really erratic, you'll have quality issues.

You didn't mention whether you are doing traffic shaping on your
upstream connection, so I'll assume you're not.  That would be
something good to look into - with traffic shaping, you can prioritize
your VoIP traffic over all other types of network traffic.

-erik