[asterisk-users] zap not coming online on fedora 8

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu May 1 08:26:00 CDT 2008

No problem, see comments inline.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:14 AM, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Steve;
>
>  Really big thanks for the big efforts u gave me.
>
>  I have here some topics, highly appreciate if u can
>  advise:
>
>  1) What is fxotune -s and why to use the "s" argument?

Google and the wiki are your friends.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+fxotune
"Using Fxotune:  You need to train fxotune once using fxotune -i, see
more below about that. The training will create the file
/etc/fxotune.conf . In order to apply the same tuning next time, you
need to run: fxotune -s"

>  2) Why we did not use modprobe zaptel?

When you load wctdm, it will also load zaptel.

>  3) U r using sangoma, and I am using digium, the
>  question is: zaptel can work with any telephony cards
>  that support fxs and fxo modules? Like dialogic cards?
>  The problem with zaptel or with the cards that they
>  should be ready to work with us?

The first part of your question is yes and no.  With patches or
additional drivers, zaptel works with other cards (such as Sangoma and
various BRI cards).  I think Dialogic may be supported now but I am
not sure, maybe in ABE, again I am not sure.

I am not sure if I understand the last part of your question.  I think
just about any card should work for you provided it has drivers for
Asterisk.