[asterisk-users] Penalty based Cascading Queue - possible ?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu May 1 03:49:29 CDT 2008

Hi, folks.

I have a call queue called 'support' with several members, for example :

[support]
member => Agent/65,5
member => Agent/78,5
member => Agent/74,1
member => Agent/62,1

With this configuration, I can configure an extension to send calls to
agent 74 and 62 when they are logged in, and calls to Agent 65 and 78
when the first agents are busy, or not logged in.  This works perfectly.

I would like to configure a queue such that if Agents 74 and 62 do not
answer, then the call is then presented to all of the four agents.

This is described on voip-info as a cascading queue, and it's normally
configured such that an extension to call the queue is made with a
timeout, and if this fails, the call is presented to an alternative
queue.  This is far from ideal.  I would like the call to be presented
to the *same* queue, but to be able to specify a penalty that is
associated with which queue members receive the call, e.g.

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,n,Queue(support|t|||10) <-- penalty 1 gets the call this
time ..
exten => s,n,Queue(support||||) <--- but somehow specify penalty 5 and
below here

Is this possible ?

Many thanks
Andy