[asterisk-users] Need some input for Quad T1 and channel banks.

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Mon Mar 31 20:57:47 CDT 2008

Doug Lytle wrote:
> Don Pobanz wrote:
>
>> Doug Lytle wrote on Monday, March 31, 2008 5:40 PM
>>

>> This does not sound right. If it is 2 PRIs then it should be 46 channels
>>

> I may have the terminology incorrect.  I don't have a D channel, so I
> guess this would be called a T1 then?
>
> Doug

A channel bank does not do ISDN. You will be using what is called a
channelized T1. You will probably set it up as 24 voice channels useing
ESF & B8ZS.

When you use a channelized T1, each channel carries it's own signaling
state and called number info is sent over the voice path(unless you have
rotatory phones). Caller ID is also sent out via the voice channel.

ISDN puts all the signaling on a single data stream called the D channel
and you need to have two phone switches that talk to each other over the
D channel. The signaling channel carries the calling and called number
as well as the busy/idle state for each of the voice channels.