[asterisk-users] SIP proxy screwing up peer addresses.

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Mar 31 11:52:33 CDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to test-call my own asterisk server to see if I can
receive SIP calls properly.

I use a softphone to call the SIP address, and because twinkle
doesn't support SRV records, I go via a proxy.

When the call comes in, asterisk says:

handle_request_invite: Sending fake auth rejection for user "martin f. krafft" <sip:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at sip05.insphone.ch>;tag=fipzt

and SIP debugging then prints:

  OPTIONS sip:sip05.insphone.ch SIP/2.0
  Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 84.75.148.xxx:5060;branch=z9hG4bK71785803;rport
  From: "asterisk" <sip:asterisk at 84.75.148.xxx>;tag=as05fc20f4

I am not calling as username asterisk, but I think this is the proxy
substituting its name for mine. Why? Is it broken? Am
I misunderstanding something? How can I fix/prevent his?

Also, the IP is that of my asterisk server, the one which receives
the call.

It goes on:

  To: <sip:sip05.insphone.ch>

I made the call to madduck at madduck.net, not the unqualified
sip05.insphone.ch (which is the proxy hostname).

  Contact: <sip:asterisk at 84.75.148.xxx>

Again this is not the contact address.

I see this often, that with SIP, the local part of a peer address
is just changes, and I think it's similar to email header rewriting.
However, header rewriting is rare and somewhat frowned upon, so why
is it so commonplace with SIP?

"die zeit für kleine politik ist vorbei.
 schon das nächste jahrhundert
 bringt den kampf um die erdherrschaft."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net