[asterisk-users] New Tutorial: Asterisk on EPIA VIA C3

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 05:29:30 CDT 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
<snip />

> You can easily take a standard distro and remove all the services you
> don't really need.

Yes, but you can't easily change the way the apps are built or setup,
e.g. compiler optimisations, use of initrd when not necessary, kernel
bloat just to accommodate "any" host.

>> Consider that I have running concurrently on my little C7 with 1G of RAM
>> (That I have *down-clocked* to 1Ghz):
>
> One major point: one of the cool advantages of the VIA CPUs is that it
> can be run fanless. In your setup you couple it with a large HD, and
> hence your system has moving parts.

No. Fanless is useful, but it is power consumption I am more interested
in. A typical AMD/Intel desktop processor will now chew upwards of
100W. That's without the mobo and external components. Also, can you
find 300Gb of solid state storage for about £30. ;-)

>> * Asterisk,
>> * Samba,
>> * Java/Tomcat:
>> 	*Cosmo Calendar Server
>> 	*ConcursiveSuiteCRM
>> 	*Alfresco
>> 	*OpenBravo
>> * PostgreSQL,
>> * MySQL,
>> * Exim,
>> * Apache,
>> * Vtiger, SugarCRM, A few Joomla! instances,
>> * Subversion Server
>> * sshd,
>> * ntpd,
>
> Now, why would you run all of those things on the same system?

Because it is for home use where there is low, but relatively constant
load (my wife and I both have home offices). Some of the apps are for
testing/evaluation so do not get used heavily and will not last very
long. I just wanted to show what is possible with a sub £100 7Watt piece
of hardware.

> Asterisk needs a responsive system. It will not play along well if you
> add heavy-duty file serving to the system, as the system will spend too
> much time serving files (in kernel space).

I have not experienced *any* performance issues - so far. And uptime is
permanent - until I reboot as I've installed a new kernel or something.

> Oh, and practically all of those can be installed as standard Debian
> packages, without a need for such a lengthy installation manual.

Yes, they can. But I might not like where and how Debian (for example)
decides how and where they install and setup those apps. They also do
not use the most up-to-date versions and you are in their hands about
when and how to upgrade.

I bet that in 1/2 a year after you install it, you'll end up with a system
> with quite a few known security holes. But you'll never bother fixing
> them.

How much ;-)

Seriously, if I find or notice for a major bug/hole it is trivial to
update. I keep all my installation procedures noted (or scripted) so it
is pretty easy just to a CMMI with a new version.

I wouldn't recommend this route for everyone. But being a control freak
I know what and where *everything* is on my server... I don't have that
level of control when using a mainstream distro. Sudo apt-get install is
nice, but you are totally ignorant about what's going on under the
hood... Hey that sounds just like Windows! lol.

Cheers

Al

--
The way out is open!