[asterisk-users] New Tutorial: Asterisk on EPIA VIA C3

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 03:11:00 CDT 2008

Darrick Hartman (lists) wrote:
<snip />

>> I didn't find it too much trouble in a Via C700N system. But I wouldn't
>> use one of the mainstream distros for the OS. They chew up system
>> resources just trying to accommodate "any" hardware.
>>
>> The solution is to roll-your-own. See this series of articles on my
>> blog... http://www.theopensourcerer.com/tag/asterisk/
>
> The C7 supports full i686 features.  The C3 is an older chip that is
> fully i586 and partially i686 compatible.  If you have a distribution
> that is compiled with i586 optimizations, you won't have problems.
>
> Darrick

Yeah, hi Darrick. I sort of realised after my post what the issue was
with the C3. Although my point about not using a regular distro still
stands. If you roll your own, all the "features" of the host hardware
can be used - perhaps more importantly, *only* those features - and your
kernel and compiler appropriately optimised.

Regular distros are great (I use Ubuntu on my desktop pc) but they do
have to try and be all things to all men and suck up cycles and ram like
the latest Dyson ;-) But for a low power 24/7 server that I won't be
"playing" much with; a custom build is just fine.

Consider that I have running concurrently on my little C7 with 1G of RAM
(That I have *down-clocked* to 1Ghz):

* Asterisk,
* Samba,
* Java/Tomcat:
	*Cosmo Calendar Server
	*ConcursiveSuiteCRM
	*Alfresco
	*OpenBravo
* PostgreSQL,
* MySQL,
* Exim,
* Apache,
* Vtiger, SugarCRM, A few Joomla! instances,
* Subversion Server
* sshd,
* ntpd,

And some other stuff that I can't recall. I don't think that's too bad
;-) When I get some more free time, I'm planning to build Untangle too.

Cheers

Al

--
The way out is open!