[asterisk-users] Two phones fail to agree on codec, asterisk at fault?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sat Mar 29 10:41:27 CDT 2008

also sprach Brent Davidson <brent at texascountrytitle.com> [2008.03.28.2149 +0100]:
> With canreinvite=no you are forcing asterisk to remain in the call path.
> As long as Asterisk is in the call path, it is supposed to be transcoding
> the calls, so it doesn't care what the compatible codecs are between then
> endpoints.  Each leg of the call is phone<->asterisk so asterisk
> negotiates a compatible codec set with each phone.

This seems incredibly silly. Asterisk could (*should*) just see if
it can find a common denominator between the two peers and thus
reduce its workload.

> If there is a codec difference between two legs of a call, it
> should be transcoding between them, unless you have that disabled
> somehow.  (A quick google and I don't see how to disable
> transcoding apart from limiting codecs.)

It doesn't. The Siemens definitely receives GSM packets.

> Now the other issue here is why Asterisk is offering GSM to the softphone
> and g726 to the C450IP.  Try setting the allow and disallow settings for
> each channel rather than in Global.  I tend to set things like codecs on a
> per-device basis rather than in global.  Global settings have a bad habit
> of being overridden.

I did this and now I cannot reproduce the problem. Gotta love * :)

Thanks, guys!

a gourmet concerned about calories
is like a punter eyeing the clock.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net