[asterisk-users] Had it with Dell Garbage - HP Question

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Sat Mar 29 04:24:39 CDT 2008

On 02:34, Sat 29 Mar 08, Al Baker wrote:
> Helps a bunch !!!
> One follow up question - out of all of your possible choices for the OS
> how did you pick *Debian*.
> I 'm not saying is bad, I just know nothing about the particular disto.
> and and very curious what
> it brought to the table that made you pick over say *RedHat* - where you
> can *buy support *or *SUSE* - where you can *buy support*. My fear from
> hell is that I' get 50 or 60 of these boxes in, start having kernel
> panics, and have no damn body to help except the folks on mailing lists.
> Mind you these are often really smart people, very generously giving of
> their time, but not quite the say as a manned/paid support organization.

I choose Debian because I was already using it.
And because there are people out there that can help me.

I dont want the support from suse or redhat because they
wont help me when running anything that's not in their
repositories.

For example, if I install zaptel from source, your support
contract with them is void.

I also really like the Open and Free mindset of Debian.