[asterisk-users] recommendable softphones / X-Lite / Zoiper for amd64?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Mar 28 11:45:03 CDT 2008

also sprach Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com> [2008.03.28.1637 +0100]:
> I may be missing something here... but won't a 32bit binary run
> just fine on a 64bit platform? Would you even see a performance
> increase or advantage to a 64bit soft phone versus a 32bit
> version?

Not if all the libraries have been compiled for 64bit. Sure, I can
run an entire 32bit system on 64bit hardware thanks to "backward
compatibility", but I actually run a 64bit machine with native 64bit
code.

And no, this is not for performance reasons and there wouldn't be
any benefits. I just can't run 32bit software.

never trust an operating system
for which you do not have the source.
                                                   -- source unknown

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net