[asterisk-users] Newbie Polycom: DHCP/boot server supporting 2 models of phones

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Thu Mar 27 23:38:15 CDT 2008

I have a question about DHCP and boot server supporting more than 1
model of Polycom phones.

According to Polycom "standards", Polycom phone boots up to get a DHCP
address and at the same time getting a boot server string (with username
and password) to logon to boot server to download SIP, bootROM and etc.

That is okay if there is only one type of phone (that requires a
specific SIP and bootROM release).

What about if the environment has to support two or more models of
Polycom phones?

On the boot server side, I can define another home directory like
/home/polycom1 and /home/polycom2 to store different SIP and bootROM
releases.  However, the issue is how different polycom phone model can
get a different user account and password to log on to different home
directories.

I understand the issue here is DHCP and not the boot server but I am a
bit of a newbie here.

Can anyone help please?