[asterisk-users] IAXy device

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Thu Mar 27 12:36:10 CDT 2008

Sean Dennis wrote:
> bilal ghayyad wrote:
>
>> Hi All;
>>
>> I have been chocked just when I saw some posts talking
>> about how much the IAXy is bad :) -
>>
>> So I would like to ask, did any one try it later and
>> wether it is good or not? I am asking this because I
>> need to use it as it is NAT Transparent (as I read
>> also, and I did not try it to see how much it is
>> transparent).
>>
>> What about codec? Why it is only support g711 and does
>> not support compressed codec? And what about the IP
>> address and the DNS usage and the DDNS usage?
>>
>> What main porblems contain and any advise?
>>
>> Regards
>> Bilal
>>

>>       ____________________________________________________________________________________
>>

> The device has no echo cancellation and sounds horrible (lots of echo)
> on about half of the analog phones I tried it on.  I wouldn't recommend
> it unless you absolutely need IAX. It's also very expensive for a 1 port
> ATA.

Echo may be the result of latency on the network.  I've not had any echo
problems that I remember with my IAXy and I make ten calls a day, five
days a week, for the last few years, to all sorts of numbers/areas.  I
know that this isn't representative of typical business use, but
residential use, but I've been using in my business and have never been
disappointed :)

I will agree that's is fairly expensive, but I WOULD recommend it to
people who are on the go often. After setup, it really is plug-n-play IMO.

Moj