[asterisk-users] Delete voicemail messages on asterisk by replying to email

OCG Technical Support support at ocg.ca
Tue Mar 25 08:19:49 CDT 2008

Like many users I get my voicemails emailed to me, AND left on the asterisk
server, so that I can retrieve them by phone or by email.  However, I was
frustrated that after I deleted a message in outlook that I still had to
delete it from asterisk manually.

So, I wrote a script that runs on the asterisk box that allows the user to
simply reply to an email (from the asterisk pbx) - which causes the
associated message files on asterisk to be deleted.

It's a safe script in that it will NOT delete a message if there is any
ambiguity as to which voicemail message files match the email, etc.  It also
has full logging (in /var/log/asterisk/voicemailcontrol).

Email me if you want to try it.  (You will have to rename the voicemail
directory etc since it's hard coded into the script.  I have not created a
config file yet...)

-MD-