[asterisk-users] force soft hangup

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 07:23:06 CDT 2008

On 25/03/2008, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Vieri wrote:
>
>  > How can I "force" soft hangup (if that makes sense)?
>  >
>  > "show channels" reveals a stale sip channel. It's of
>  > an analog phone behind a Grandstream ATA which was
>  > communicating with another SIP softphone. The latter
>  > crashed. A soft hangup of the softphone seems to have
>  > worked but it doesn't for the analog/ATA phone. "show
>  > hints" also shows that it's InUse. But of course it
>  > isn't and noone can contact this extension since I
>  > disabled call waiting for it (I also rebooted the ATA
>  > and forced re-registration of the ATA SIP client).
>  >
>  > So how can I "kill" this channel without restarting
>  > the asterisk daemon?
>
> Strangely enough the command in the CLI is:
>
>    soft hangup <channel>
>
>  Just type soft hangup then push the TAB key and it will auto complete for
>  you ...

I think the OP's point is that "soft hangup ..." does not hang up one
of the channels successfully. I have seen this before, usually from
soft-phones that do not disconnect cleanly, or WiFi phones that lose
signal during a call.

Using rtptimeout and rtpholdtimeout settings in sip.conf seems to
improve matters, as does using more recent versions of asterisk - You
do not say what version you are running.

Regards,
Steve