[asterisk-users] Had it with Dell Garbage - HP Question

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Mar 25 04:21:27 CDT 2008

Well it greatly depends on your budget.  CDW or PCConnection are my
usual providers of server hardware.  I like PCConnection, because I
have a very good relationship with my sales rep and he will often drop
VAR pricing further without being asked or with a small hint about the
price.  In a pinch, I have found a guy on Ebay that sells "refurbed"
DL 3XX servers that are supposedly great servers.  They work for me in
the situation where required, although, never a first suggestion.

The most important features are the fact that PCConnection/CDW are
very quick (overnight) to provided support on the boxes.  HP servers
are rock solid (not like HP/Compaq desktops or especially laptops),
their servers have given my no problems.

I would try to get a  cool sales rep at PCConnection and in initial
conversations, mention that you are going to purchase that many
servers and never just accept the price, at least not with my rep,
they negotiate.

My largest deployment was seven HP DL320s for TDM to SIP gateways (HP
DL320s with Sangmona quad port T1 cards, Two DL380s maxed out to
handle a callcenter application/CRM integration, and the second to
handle recording and archiving EVER call into the call center.
Several hundreds simultaneous calls without using Asterisk MixMonitor,
my recording solution is totally separate from Asterisk that has no
potential of crashing the call center itself, just the possibility of
losingin recordings.

What I really like about the DL380 is the ability to have multiple
power supplies and several slots for your RAID preferences.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro