[asterisk-users] SIP carrier billing technicalities

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:43:26 CDT 2008

>  Do most carriers the carrier just use CallerID as an origination
>  number?  As far as I am aware, the concept of a BTN is gone with
>  SIP....

I don't know about most carriers, but the couple "bigger" providers
we're using use CallerID as the BTN for outgoing calls. They bill us
by destination LATA/OCN and determine if it's an intrastate or
interstate (inter/intra-LATA) call based on CallerID. Therefore calls
from the same machine (no user/pass since they authenticate by IP) are
billed differently simply due to CallerID. So yes, technically it's
possible to be charged the lower interstate rate for an intrastate
call if the CallerID is set out of state, but IMO that doesn't make a
good impression and isn't worth the savings. YMMV.

/Luki