[asterisk-users] Access rights between AGI and Web server?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sun Mar 23 20:34:01 CDT 2008

Thanks for the top-post :)

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Al Baker wrote:

> Why are you using "AGI Scripts" to get to MySLQ instead of the MYSQL
> add-on package. It seems that would be a hell of a lot more efficient as
> well as easier to code.

SQLite is not the same as MySQL -- that's why they have different names...

Don't discount AGI's (written in C) for performance. Even a wimpy 1.6gHz
Celeron can execute 100 per second.

> Please share as I am very very curious about this as I will soon be
> facing it on a Large project.

Does "large" mean voluminous or complex?. AGI's allow you to "wrap"
complex logic into a single dialplan step. I confess I've never used the
MySQL dialplan interface, but the idea of keeping track of several
(nested) result sets and accumulating values and making decisions sounds
like the place for a "real" language. (He says ducking behind his
collection of H&S and Knuth for protection.)

"Hiding" such details seems like good engineering to me.

Also, when working with "large" projects, I like a compiler that can
complain when I accidentally mung a variable name as I scroll through the
source code in my editor.

Thanks in advance,