[asterisk-users] BLF and Snom phones

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 23 04:55:42 CDT 2008

Bill Hackensack wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Philipp Kempgen
> <philipp.kempgen at amooma.de <mailto:philipp.kempgen at amooma.de>> wrote:
>

>     http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5014
>
> The response on that issue from Russell is the kind of response that
> really ticks me off.  No, no, no, we don't want any real features that
> users want, we want basic, boring features.  Asterisk is a call center
> system, not for regular, everyday business users.
>
> It could be so much more, though...
>
> Works great as an advanced IVR as a front end to a real phone system,
> though.

While his basic point makes sense (we want to get away from channel
specific implementation stuff) what he seems to be ignoring is that this
patch actually provides no benefit at /all/ to non-SIP channels, since
the Snom phones don't support any technology /other/ than SIP.

I still think Asterisk is more than just a front-end to a "rea"l phone
system.  What you can achieve with Asterisk is vastly beyond /anything/
you can achieve with most other PABX systems without spending an utter
fortune.