[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk ready for Prime-Time?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Mar 20 09:59:23 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:31:03AM -0500, John Faubion wrote:
> > I reboot every evening :)  Drew, what's the uptime on your
> > asterisk process on that box that's been up for 193 days?
>
> I too restart the asterisk process every night as part of the cron process.
> Many people here seem to be under the impression that restarting the
> application every day is a bad thing.

It is a bad thing when people consider it a magic bullet.

It "cures" slow resource leaks.  But faster resource drains will still
be able to crash Asterisk. Strange races will still happen once in a
million.

And people have actually suggested recently in this list a scheduled
reboot as a cure for deadlock issues.

And what happens if at the time of the shutdown there was a