[asterisk-users] Inband SIP DTMF

Norman Franke Norman at myASD.com
Wed Mar 19 14:06:29 CDT 2008

I've been searching to a solution to this for a while and can't
figure it out, perhaps someone has done something similar.

I have a Cisco AS5400 sending SIP traffic via PCMU / ulaw directly to
my Asterisk (1.4.19-rc2) box. Jitter and latency are incredibly low
on my lightly loaded switched gigabit ethernet network. One Asterisk
uses Zaptel and a Digium card, and DTMF recognition works great.
However, the same software can't seem to recognize DTMF over SIP inband.

I've tried enabling DTMF debugging, which never prints anything even
with "core set debug 10" and "core set verbose 10". Any thoughts on
how to get this working? My dialplan snippet is:

exten => 6220,1,Answer()
exten => 6220,n,Playback(high)
exten => 6220,n,Read(TEST||7)
exten => 6220,n,SayDigits(${TEST})

It always says:

     -- User entered nothing.

If I send rfc2833 messages from a soft phone, it always works, of
course. I've tried "relaxdtmf=yes" in sip.conf, as well. I added
"dtmfmode=inband" to the SIP peer for the Cisco. Nothing. Tones are
generated by phones connected to our PBX that we don't have a problem
with otherwise or even from a cell phone.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com