[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk ready for Prime-Time?

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed Mar 19 13:50:05 CDT 2008

> John
>
> You have raised few valid points. Thanks.
>
> However, I will say that it is not asterisk but people/company
deploying
> it. Generally speaking after deployment, and as long users are "using"
> the system normally, no reboot is required.
>
> And yes, running the whole thing from standard PC based "desktop" will
> eventually cause issues hence an solid state appliance is a way to go
:)

Agreed.  The simple fact of the matter is that most key systems and
hybrids that "hang on the wall and just work" are mostly or completely
solid state.  I've been in the PBX/Key/Hybrid business since 1994 and my
experience is, I'm sure, similar to most phone system veterans: keep
your solid state stuff clean and cool and it pretty much never breaks;
the stuff that breaks almost always seems to involve moving parts and/or
the power supply.  (Power => heat => eventual breakage.)  Like John,
I've pulled out systems that have worked for 10-15 years and never
broke, they just got old.

One other salient point is that the operating system and resident
hardware are factors that must be taken into consideration when running
a computer-based phone system.  Great software running on a great OS
running on crappy hardware will lead to problems.  Crappy software
running on a great OS running on rock solid hardware will lead to
problems.  (You get the idea.)

To get back to the OP's question about Asterisk being ready for
prime-time: it all depends.  Your experience with the small systems
working great but the larger one having issues isn't uncommon.  I would
suggest asking around on list to find out what kind of hardware is being
used by those who've had lots of success, especially if you're
connecting to the PSTN, because that adds yet another layer of
complexity.

BTW, if you're asking for my opinion, I'll give it: no, I personally
don't think Asterisk is ready for "prime-time" in a mission-critical
application.  I don't use it for anything mission-critical.  (For those
who feel I've just blasphemed, please direct my opinion to /dev/null.)

-MC