[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk ready for Prime-Time?

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Wed Mar 19 13:15:27 CDT 2008

On March 19, 2008 12:43:21 pm Bill Andersen wrote:
> I'm a USER of Asterisk.  We purchased 3 commercially available
> "Asterisk Based" PBXs a little over a year ago. (I won't mention
> which one at this point - I don't want to bad mouth them - yet!)
> Two of the systems are very small (5 SIP lines/6 Polycom phones).
> The third is on a PRI with 30 Polycom phones.

If you're continuously restarting Asterisk, there is something wrong with your
setup: hardware, software or both.  I have many installs out there on
commodity hardware (either pure-voip or digital (PRI) only with Polycom
handsets) and none of them need to be restarted.

Now we're not using queues; straight extensions with voicemail, some paging
and followme, a little CTI (click to dial), and a 24h "page the poor shlub
wearing the pager this week" for emergency support.  You know, pretty
standard systems; the kind of thing I'd think any small business would have.
None of these are PoE, have separate switches or special VLANs or anything
like that.  Think of what a small 5-50 person office would have the money
for.

I hear this complaint from time to time, but I've never really sat down and
thought about what could be causing it.  Which version(s) are you running?
Whose hardware, what linux distro, are you running FreePBX or
straight-from-sources Asterisk?  I'll take you on your word that you're not
trolling.  Let's dig in a little.

-A.