[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4 reliability problems

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:26:50 CDT 2008

On 3/18/08, Ben Willcox <ben.willcox at british-gymnastics.org> wrote:

> A million calls sounds good, but 2 weeks, not so good. It's a bit
>  disappointing to me that crashing /ever/ is acceptable, I had always had
>  the understanding that asterisk was supposed to be rock-solid. I suppose
>  it's some consolation that its not just me that has problems!
>
>  Thanks for all the input. I think short term I will restart asterisk
>  daily, then the action plan is to revert back to Debian Etch, and then
>  install asterisk 1.4.18 from source, and hopefully this will improve
>  things.

Keep in mind that my tests go from 0 to 400 calls in about 1 minute
then they keep that volume for several hours, and I kept running them
for two weeks, and about 6 hours into the last test is when it
crashed. I should mention that 1.2.26.2 is what I still use on all of
my production servers and they will go for months without a crash.

As for rebooting nightly or weekly, that is something we do on a lot
of our high-volume servers just to be safe. When pushing Asterisk to
high concurrent call volumes it is a good idea to give it a fresh
start every day if you can. If Asterisk is being used as a standard
office PBX it should be able to run for months with no crashes.

MATT---