[asterisk-users] Desperately need help with Asterisk setup

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Mon Mar 17 05:47:19 CDT 2008

Am Montag, den 17.03.2008, 15:08 +0800 schrieb Pete Kay:
> Hi,
> I am new to Asterisk and I am having a setup problem that I am trying
> to resolved for the last couple days without any success.  I am pretty
> much desperated on this issue and I don't know why.  Can someone
> please kindly help me to troubleshoot this?  I can't hear any audio
> from Asterisk when running Playback or VoiceMail tests.

Dear Pete,

my first idea would be that something with your codecs is borken (TM). I
personally use a setup quite similar to yours, with the one visible
difference that I also allow the "gsm" codec, owing to the fact that at
least my home-recorded prompts are gsm only. I _guess_ asterisk could or
should handle format conversion from audio files automagically, but for
making sure, please try adding "gsm", at least for now.

You might also want to setup the
[sipclient] stanza in sip.conf such that "nat" is set to "no", although
I do not see why that should break things. Especially as "Echo" works.

The externip is set to your current external IP, right? (Knowing full
well that some DSL lines get a new IP as often as 6 times a day, or as a
P2P bandwidth countermeasure down to five minute intervals at certain
restrictive providers once your "fair use" volume is used up). Again
this should not be the culprit...

Poking with a stick in the swamps, but perhaps hitting the bug :-P

BR
Anselm