[asterisk-users] Telemarketer Torture....

Horwich IT Services (Godwin Stewart) g.stewart at horwits.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 09:37:00 CDT 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:50:50 -0500, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net> wrote:

> I just forward them to one of those two extensions. If callerid worked
> more reliably I would automate it. But I get a lot of caller id failures
> on my incoming POTS lines, esp when calling in from my cell phone.

The way I worked around this problem was to give a passcode to people I want
to hear from even if they conceal CLI.

If an inbound call comes in without CLI (or with CLI but the number is in
my blocklist for that matter), I forward it to a recorded message saying
"Caller ID screening is in operation. Please press 1 if you are an
authorized caller". When the user complies, they're prompted for the
passcode. If it's correct, then the call is forwarded to my extension.

Those I do want to hear from are not just blown off, they have a chance to
get through to me regardless of the screening. Teleslime doesn't, and
they've paid for the call anyway.

--
Godwin Stewart - Horwich IT services