[asterisk-users] Mail Server

Erik Anderson erikerik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:25:44 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Mike Hammett <asterisk-users at ics-il.net> wrote:

> I need to setup a small mail server on a local network.  It only needs SMTP
> ability as it's just so Asterisk can send out emails.  The machine has
> sendmail installed.  My primary mail server seems to be rejecting the
> messages.  Some research says something isn't configured properly.  What do
> I have to do so the outside world accepts emails from my Asterisk box?  It
> is behind a NAT.

Does your ISP provide an SMTP server you can use?  If so, it's usually
easiest to set that up as a "smarthost" and tell sendmail to send
through that server.  If this isn't an option, you need to make sure
that your asterisk server has a valid publicly-available DNS record
(and reverse DNS).  That's most likely the reason the remote server is
rejecting these emails.

-erik