[asterisk-users] How to find out the IP of the calling party?

Gonzalo Servat gservat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 22:47:39 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to achieve the following:

- If <sip/iax user> logs in from home, they can dial internal extensions
only (this is to avoid employees going wild on local/mobile calls from home)
- If <sip/iax user> logs in from the office, they can call anyone they want.

Since I have my users defined in an LDAP tree, I'd like to stick to
one-account-per-user (each account is setup for both - IAX and SIP logins -
to allow the employee to use IAX from home and SIP at work, or whatever
combination they prefer).

So, I thought I would simply look at the IP address of the originating call.
If the SIP/IAX user has an IP address outside the local subnet -> allow
calls to extensions only. Else -> allow all. I thought the best way of doing
this would be using AGI with a Perl script. The only problem I'm having is
determining the IP address of the originating call. I can't find any channel
variable that gives me this info.

The reason why I mentioned that I'd like to stick to one-account-per-user is
that I know I could fix this simply by having 2 accounts per user (one that
allows connections from the local subnet, and the other to login from
outside and use different contexts for each), but it'd be much nicer to
avoid having 2 accounts per user.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve the above, I'd love to read
them!

Thanks in advance.
Gonzalo