[asterisk-users] Call tracing - Asterisk 1.4

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Mar 11 12:47:12 CDT 2008

On 3/11/08, Louwrens Benadé <louwrens at jasper.co.za> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
>  I've just read this about the upcoming release of * 1.6:
>
>  "Better reporting through a new call event logging capability in Asterisk
>  1.6 will allow complete tracking of events that take place during a call.
>  The goal, according to Fleming, is to provide more detail than traditional
>  CDR (Call Detail Recording) features offer and to allow for more granular
>  tracking and auditing."
>
>  That sounds brilliant! But I'm in desperate need of something to handle call
>  tracing in 1.4...
>
>  Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? I thought about using the
>  originating uniqueid and populate for every event related to the call
>  (transfers, etc), but I'm having trouble reading the dialplan to see what
>  executes where :(

That's the way how i have it workin. Of course, this wasn't done in
one day, i've been working on details for weeks. Generally i use CDR,
and manipulate it with ResetCDR, NoCDR, and link them together by
first uniqueid. This works great for IVRs, extension2extension calls,
outgoing calls, blind transfers, queues. So i can take any call and
see what was done to it, where it was transferred, duration of each
step and so on, so on. However it won't work for conferences (you
don't know that person will join conference unless it joins, and then
it's too late to change uniqueid, first cdr may be already writted),
and i haven't implemented that for blind transfers. But generally if
you want all that in DB, manipulating CDR is the way to go.

When you will have more specific questions, please ask, i'm sure
somebody will answer :)

Regards,
Atis

--