[asterisk-users] Microsoft Office Communications Server

Senad Jordanovic senad at bicom.us
Mon Mar 10 20:49:23 CDT 2008

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM,  <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>> What is the logic of them using SIP over TCP? Is this a broad industry
>>  trend? Or just the latest attempt to get around SIP/NAT issues?
>>
>>  Michael Graves
>>  mgraves <at> mstvp.com
>>  o(713) 861-4005
>>  c(713) 201-1262
>>  sip:mjgraves at pixelpower.onsip.com
>>  skype mjgraves
>>  FWD 54245
>>

> I would imagine it's because they plan on doing all kinds of "neat"
> stuff with SIP including video, TXT, Windows Updates, who knows...
> SIP over UDP has some pretty serious packet fragmentation issues.  If
> you end up with a large enough SDP or something that causes a SIP
> packet to grow larger than the smallest MTU in the path between your
> two endpoints it doesn't work (no fragmentation support with SIP over
> UDP).  SIP over TCP does not have this problem.
>
> Also, you need SIP TCP support for TLS...

Well...

I have been a MS windows desktop user for a while as many other people
have. It mostly works except at times one needs to maintain/repair what
one bought. I have switched :)

Imagine, repairing an engine of your brand new car you just bought?
Imagine "restarting" your TV because it just froze?  What if your shoes
have "just" changed colour to "blue screen"?
It will just not "pass", will it? ... You will DEMAND a service for your
car/TV,shoes or you may return it or whatever.

So.. Imagine how much your business will be affected with a phone SYSTEM
based on a such operating system, one which can not even meet basic
desktop user requirements let alone crucial every day in/out business
communications tool like a phone system.

At the end, if you do not answer a call some else will!!!

Senad Jordanovic
www.bicomsystems.com