[asterisk-users] NIN Ghosts music (free download) safe for MOH?

John Novack novackster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 10:25:22 CDT 2008

Horwich IT Services (Godwin Stewart) wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:17:16 +0100, Dave Cotton
> <dcotton at linuxautrement.com> wrote:
>

>>> Ok now I am curious, if a radio is playing in a store, a restaurant or at the beach, wouldn't that be considered a public performance?
>>>
>>  From a conversation with a hairdresser who fell foul of this the answer is in France you do have to pay.
>>

> Confirmed.
>
> I lived there from 1983 until a few months ago and I know for a fact that bars have to have special TV licenses in order to show, for example, soccer matches and other sporting events, and a radio license in order to broadcast the radio to clients, many of whom are too p*ssed to realize what they're listening to or watching anyway :)

Certainly the case in the US as well. ASCAP goes on regular campaigns
with Pizza shops and the like. Look for the yellow sign on the door.
So far they haven't bothered medical offices too much, and I do not know
about XM radio sold for  commercial use. I suspect that MAY be covered.

Bottom line is if you write it your self, and play it your self, in the
US you probably will be OK. Other than that, you have exposure, or you
AND your client .

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot