[asterisk-users] Shared Extension

Tony Plack Tony at plack.net
Mon Mar 10 10:00:15 CDT 2008

I am working on a project that requires shared extension.  Where shared line looks at the status of a line/trunk, shared extension would look at a series of channels as the same "extension".

The users would like to add destination channels on the fly, to provide roaming extensions, but maintaining fixed channels as well.

If a call comes in on an extension, the system needs to honor the fact that channel 1 is busy, therefore, the extension is busy.  Keep in mind that the channel could be anything including SIP outbound trunk channels (read cell phone or hotel room).

The Dial command does provide a nice multi-channel dialer, especially with the "r" option, however, if one of the lines is busy, the system will keep ringing the other lines until timeout or answer (read voice mail).

So I am contemplating adding a feature to the dial command, that would make any channel busy, cause the initial Dial to come back as busy.  Kind of a force the state flag.

Before I brake into code, does anyone have any other ideas?

This would also help with phones like Grandstream, where you have 4 accounts to configure, and would like to have all 4 SIP accounts act as 1 extension.

Tony Plack