[asterisk-users] replace astdb with a cluster-capable sql database engine

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 03:25:56 CDT 2008

--- Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to modify the API calls that
> are
> currently going to the AstDB code within Asterisk,
> and
> put a translation layer to have them use the
> func_odbc
> instead (or either one)?
> At a lower level, for everything Asterisk does to
> its
> AstDB, maybe there could be a system setting which
> allows the user to say, ok, use DB, or, no, use
> func_odbc (not at the dialplan level).

What I mean is that ast_db_put and similar calls are
about everywhere within the 1.2 base code (eg.
chan_zap, chan_sip, chan_iax2, pbx_dundi, etc).
There are a lot of applications out there (not just
easily modifiable dialplans) that make use of the DB
calls (custom add on code, XML phone applications,
etc).
So putting a translation layer so that ast_db_* API
calls either go the normal route or translate to
func_odbc (or another path) would improve
functionality because both old and new apps would be
able to seamlessly take advantage of the new database
backend or keep using DB1 (the * admin would decide).

I haven't looked at the 1.4/1.6 source code yet but I
was wondering how many people would benefit from this.