[asterisk-users] NIN Ghosts music (free download) safe for MOH?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Mar 7 21:12:52 CST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 12:05:40 Joshua Kinard wrote:
> That'd be ASCAP (I think there's another one too).  They're the ones known
> for calling up places, asking to be put on hold to listen to the hold
> music, then querying on whether it's been licensed or not (among other
> tactics).

BMI (Broadcast Music International) and ASCAP (American Society of Composers,
Authors, and Publishers) are the two major licensing houses in this country.
There are others, but these are the two 800-lb gorillas in the industry.

> Pretty much, unless it's music developed in-house, I wouldn't put it on the
> hold line unless you're willing to risk a fight with them (and even then,
> they're likely to make a fuss just for the heck of it).

The default hold music is licensed from another publishing house, Free Play
Music.  I know the default music tends to sound crappy, but that's entirely
due to it being compressed down to single channel 8000Hz audio.  If you listen
to it in the full, native format, it sounds pretty good.

Free Play Music will license 10 of their works for music on hold for $125 per
year.  If you really want another style, I'd invite you to take a look at
their website.  ALL of their works, in the entirety, are available online at
their website, and not just a preview of each work, the whole thing.

http://www.freeplaymusic.com/

The three works distributed with Asterisk:
http://www.freeplaymusic.com/search/download_file.php?id=303&dur=0&type=mp3
http://www.freeplaymusic.com/search/download_file.php?id=22&dur=0&type=mp3
http://www.freeplaymusic.com/search/download_file.php?id=313&dur=0&type=mp3

--