[asterisk-users] FXS channel banks

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Mar 7 19:02:50 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 03:00:03PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 02:14:57AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > >    http://www.voipon.co.uk/xorcom-astribank32-32-fxs-channel-bank-p-530.html
> > >
> > > Trouble is, you'll need 7 32-port units to cover your needs and I'm not
> > > sure if USB2 is up to driving that many ... Tzafrir?
> >
> > One USB connector can take a number close to that easily. But even if
> > USB were the bottleneck, you would just add another USB controller in
> > the form of PCI card and get extra bandwidth.
>
> Is there any reason you'd want to do that on a system of that scale
> instead of just using Ethernetted FXS boxes on a dedicated 100Base?
>
> Even if you didn't want to use reinvite, seems you'd still win just
> from the less expensive host interface (I can't understand people using
> T-1 interfaces for FXS channels either, honestly, in the current
> environment).

USB is very cheap. It's in every computer. A dedicated ethernet segment
costs more to set up that an extra USB segment (a 10$ for an extra USB
controller? 20$ for a USB hub? a bit more for the wiring?).

TDMoE is more complicated as the latency is higher and the jitter is
larger.

Now both thing have been (T1 channel banks, and TDMoE) have been done by
others. People do use and buy them. I don't intend to say that they
don't. But ours does as well :-)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com