[asterisk-users] {s} - extension

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:49:27 CST 2008

Hi -

> Thank you all for answers. As I understand s - i and others is device specific.
>  I will not need them in my SIP configuration.

The "s" extension is not zap-specific.  You can use it for any type of
device.  It's just the generic extension that a call will go to when
no other matching extensions are present.  As Tzafrir pointed out, you
had no "s" extension in the default context, and your sip device was
in the default context.  Therefore, you were only able to dial
extensions that you had explicitly declared.

To access the "s" extension from your sip device, you'd either need to
add your sip device to the context where your "s" extension is, or
include that context in the default context.

NOTE: Andres' example using "_." will work, too (but you should make
sure you put in at the end of a context if you want to put other
extensions in that context as it will match all calls).

- Noah