[asterisk-users] Asterisk based UNIX

Carole Migden carole at vctam.org
Wed Mar 5 22:32:37 CST 2008

bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Anyone tried to install Asterisk based on UNIX (not
> linux)? Which UNIX was good to work with Asterisk?

Works fine for us, in a FreeBSD jail. Very lightweight (100K RAM
and .5G disk) and very secure even without a jailed environment.
Also prefer BSD ports to Linux' RPMs or DPKGs with all their
hard-coded dependencies. If you compile you can pick and choose
only the resources you want, but unless you compile from a ports
tree you'll still not get granular updates when new versions are
available.

That's not to say *BSD is better mind you, it has it's pluses and
minuses. Generally what you know is best, but if you run Linux I
recommend Ubuntu. None of the RPM-based distros are half as
secure. Only thing that limits our use of Linux is the monolithic
kernel, which _always_ breaks something when upgraded.

YMMV,
Roger Marquis