[asterisk-users] g729 to GSM translator is needed for voicemail to work fine, how?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Mar 5 12:46:29 CST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 12:35:53 bilal ghayyad wrote:
> I need a help as the voicemail need GSM codec while I
> am using G729 for the call, why Asterisk does not do
> codec translation from G729 to GSM, it does not
> support?
>
> Any need for settings, what I am missing?

If you do not have a license for the G.729 codec, you'll need to obtain
at least one from Digium ($10 per concurrent usage).  Alternately, if
all of your users are using G.729, you can install the G.729 sound files,
selectable with 'make menuselect' and save voicemails in g729 format
only.  Note that you cannot save in multiple formats unless you have a
license, as that would require transcoding.  Again, number of licenses
required will depend upon maximum concurrent usage.

--
Tilghman