[asterisk-users] Newbie on VoIP

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon Mar 3 03:53:19 CST 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 10:14 +0800, NOC Ph wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I’m new in VoIP, I heard from a friend that asterisk is good in VoIP
> service especially on SIP. I’m planning to replace our old PBX system
> (legacy of Panasonic) to VoIP so that even out of the country we can
> still communicate cheaper than regular phone. But I have a few
> questions though before I change our OLD PBX to VoIP.
>

> 1. Does asterisk generate CDR? If yes how do I see it or generate it?
> Because I have to monitor people who’s calling overseas.
>
> 2. How do I secure it? Co’z I have to open it via Public IP. Can I
> know the port asterisk used assuming I’ll use SIP.
>
> 3. If it run on linux, it run will on BSD but I read from google that
> it has specific version for BSD. Can I know what version are for
> FreeBSD?

Hi,
Just a quick one.
Last month i created a asterisk system running on freebsd-7
(pre-release) Nothing special, Took an 1.4 asterisk from the ports tree.

Only minor point is that it takes foreven and a day to rebuild the whole
lot, but that is because i had to use old hardware. (bsd is pick about
hardware....)

But on the whole, it works nicely including the tdm-board.

hw