[asterisk-users] which phones to use ??

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 2 09:28:56 CST 2008

I'll admit in my case, the main reason the boot time of the Polycom
drives me nuts is that I don't see the phones unless I'm installing them
for the first time or supporting them when something isn't quite right.
It's for this reason that I very much appreciate a phone that either (a)
boots fairly quickly or (b) doesn't feel the need to reboot for
everything except lifting the handset.

Both the Linksys and Polycom phones score poorly on this point - both of
them restart to some degree with just about every config change, no
matter how minor - but more to the point, reboot without asking you
first.  If I've got half a dozen small changes to make or if you're
experimenting with a couple of settings, this gets old /real/ quick.

The Snoms are nice here - on those rare occasions the phone needs to
restart, it prompts you first - allowing you to continue to make changes
if you want.