[asterisk-users] which phones to use ??

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 1 16:36:07 CST 2008

Having installed a couple of systems with Polycoms, I'm not sure I'd
agree, unless handsfree is important to you.

Configuring the phones is somewhat of a nightmare.  The web GUI can't
configure everything and the XML files are horribly complicated.  On the
flip side of this, they /are/ extremely well documented - the admin
manual is something like 250 pages if I recall correctly.  The other
irritation with them is that if you make /any/ change, the phone will
reboot - and Polycoms are quite slow to boot. (~60-90 seconds - and a
/lot/ longer if threre is a software update to go with it)

Depending on the level of features required, my personal suggestion
would either be the Linksys SPA-942/962 or the Snom 300/320.