[asterisk-users] which phones to use ??

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Mar 1 01:38:09 CST 2008

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, randulo wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Rob Hillis <rob at hillis.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>
>>  For your own sanity's sake, steer as far away from Grandstream as possible.
>> The firmware is appalling and isn't improving a great deal.  They make great
>> steps in one area while another gets worse and worse.
>
> I know a lot of people feel thzat way about GS, but many have had good
> luck with them. They're cheap, there's no getting around that, and
> they make a decent starter phone. Ironically, on the VoIP Users
> Conference yesterday, a person using a BT102 had better sound than
> many other callers in the past.
>
> I would recommend that if anyone has a firmware version that works,
> don't ever change it though :)

Not just firmware, but hardware...

The latest 1.1.5.15 Seems to be good - on newer phones, but if you've got
older phones, then 1.1.1.14 is the one for you ...

I've deployed many 2000's now - currently have a pair of 1200's on trial
with a customer and finding them to be very good so-far.

Build quality is a bit "fisher price", but for the features vs. price,
I've not found anything to beat it yet...

Gordon