[asterisk-users] Voicemail- Recorded Mesage Low Volume

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Mon Jun 30 18:20:08 CDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 1:04 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

>> But to get asterisk to run a different/fake sox, just install
>> whatever
>> you want to run as /usr/local/bin/sox and then edit your
>> safe_asterisk
>> script as I mentioned below.
>
> I think this is a bad approach. It's going to be a big "gotcha" down
> the
> road for somebody :)

Agreed. :)  It would be nice if there was something similar to
externnotify that was not just a notification but a pipe that you
could modify/filter etc the audio file before it continues on its
merry way.

>> Asterisk runs the program 'sox' using the first match in your
>> $PATH, so
>> by updating the $PATH before asterisk runs you can direct it to run a
>> different sox program.
>
> A quick grep through the Asterisk (1.2.28) sources shows res_monitor
> using
> soxmix if the channel variable MONITOR_EXEC is not defined -- but
> nothing
> in app_voicemail. Am I missing something?

It is possible this is a 1.4.x feature, and specifically it is for the
e-mail sending system which as I am thinking about it is a 1.4
feature.  I don't use 1.2.x and never have, I started with 1.4.  The
other option, again I don't know if this is available in 1.2, is to
use the externnotify option.  When a voicemail is left this script/
program is called with the context, extension and number of new
voicemail messages.  With a little bit of shell scripting you could
walk the list of all messages and process any left (modified) within
the last 20 seconds via sox.  It is a little more iffy and prone to
race conditions, but it should work.

Unfortunately I couldn't give you a specific example of doing it this
way as I use the e-mail style.

Daniel