[asterisk-users] measuring network quality in the field

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jun 28 12:36:27 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:16:53PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Tzafrir Cohen
> <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:25:44AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

> >> Maybe SNMP?
> >
> > To monitor what data, exactly? SNMP is a potential way to get data from
> > various hosts. But how do the hosts actually get the data?
> >

> I always enjoy how you snip my posts.

Yes, specifically when you quote my signature.

I snipped methods for gathring information that is available through
SNMP already. But is this information useful?

Specifically, I don't care about fragmantion and packet loss of all
packets. Just of those in the relevant streams.

ntop tries to keep rtack of all packets and then give some useful
details from that. It has a reputation for being a memory hog. A simple
apt search on my system shows up a package called "darkstat" which
describes itself as "known to be smaller (in terms of memory footprint)
and stabler than ntop."

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com