[asterisk-users] SIP vs. SKINNY

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Wed Jun 25 16:41:18 CDT 2008

On 14:16, Wed 25 Jun 08, Joe Carroll wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the performance benefits when comparing sip to skinny ?

Most cisco phones work better with the skinny firmware.

That is not true when connecting to asterisk though.

It all depends on the version of asterisk you are running.
I have a setup with over 20 skinny phones on asterisk -trunk and that
works great. Specially after today, now that chan_skinny supports
transfers.

If you are running 1.4 I'm not sure what is best. It basically depends
on what you are doing with the phones.
In my home setup it worked great, but in my business I have to run trunk
for the phones to be as workable as the sip variant.

The skinny firmware has some neat stuff like XML push etc.
Dont know how the current SIP firmware is doing, as I have not run it in
over 2 years now.

YMMV
--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"