[asterisk-users] Can asterisk support using different ip for rtp?

Jun Yin hansyin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:51:00 CDT 2008

some vendors(like alcatel-lucent) developed a kind of sip proxy which
includes two parts: one sip signaling module and one or more voice
modules. voice modules are responsible for receiving/sending voice
traffic(RTP). each voice module has its own IP. so , when the sip
signaling part sends out "invite" packet, it has sip ip in its sip
content and different RTP ip in SDP content. (also for 200OK)
Now I'm trying to do a test to simulate that product with asterisk. I
hope asterisk can sends out different rtp address based on user or
domain name. Based on network side, there are many ways to do it: we
can configure the network card with multiple IPs, one for SIP and
others for RTP.  or , we can setup multiple network cards for the
asterisk server, one card is for sip signaling and other cards for rtp
traffic connecting to different carriers.   I think this diagram is
reasonable but I was surprised that asterisk does not support it.
Maybe asterisk can do this by special configuration? or, there is
other free sip proxy software can do this?

Thanks.