[asterisk-users] mpg123 problem

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jun 25 01:58:13 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:06:00PM +0200, Stefan Tichy wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:24:22AM -0700, fateme fatah wrote:
> > I want to install mpg123-0.59r on my asterisk server.I downloaded it in
> > /usr/src then untared it and I typed these command :
>
> Just have a look at www.mpg123.org and fetch the up to date version.
>
> 0.59r is probably available with your distribution but it is known
> to cause some problems.

Actually 0.59r is probably older than the one available from your
distribution and has known security holes. It is recommended by the
Asterisk community by some strange voodoo reasons.

In most cases you don't need mpg123 anyway. The most common remaining
use case for mpg123 is streaming remote mp3 streams. But then you should
consider the known security holes that version has.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com