[asterisk-users] Asterisk Openfire Asterisk-IM Plugin Performance Observation

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jun 24 09:15:08 CDT 2008

> Is it better for production to run Openfire on a separate server than the PBX?

Since discovering linux vservers I put every service into its own
"install".  Each install can be very lightweight and vservers only add
about 1MB to ram usage (I don't run a separate init process), so very
lightweight.

The advantage is that it's super simple to backup each "server" and you
can test upgrades by simply copying the image, fire up a new instance,
test your upgrade, then burn it down again...  Piece of cake to shuffle
services between real machines also (preserving IP addresses also if
that's required).  Backups can be done very easily (make the /vserver
dir an LVM disk)

Good luck

Ed W