[asterisk-users] Asterisk Openfire Asterisk-IM Plugin Performance Observation

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:47:30 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I've been playing with Openfire & Asterisk-IM plugin installed on the
same server with Asterisk 1.4 with MySQL as the Openfire database.
Using Spark IM as the client on user machines.

It seems to work fairly well, not too bad to install.  This first
thing I notice is all the packages that must be installed to get
Openfire running, java-jre, mysql (needed for asterisk-im to work) and
many other dependencies.

So now the PBX is over 1.2 Gig for the installation.  Typical PBX
installs are under 600 Meg.  This makes me wonder about server
stability, reliability and performance as uptime creeps on and user
count increases over 50 to 100+.

Can anyone give me feedback on real world experience with this type of
setup and any performance issues that my arise?

Is it better for production to run Openfire on a separate server than the PBX?

My biggest concern is deploying a 100+ user environment with high call
volume and high chat volume.  Java seems to be a bit resource hungry
with the user notifications and call pop ups.  I would hate to have
the IM server walking over Asterisk and affecting call quality or PBX
stability.

Thanks.
JR